Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Thursday, April 25, 2019

There is nothing like a four year old cabernet sauvignon

By SJ Otto
Lately I’ve taken up drinking wine. My favorite is red wine, specifically cabernet sauvignon. There are dozens of brands to chose from, but lately I’ve come up with a system to buying wine that I can be assured is pretty good. The average cabernet runs from $9 to $15. The price can be lower, or it can go up to $hundreds.
I’ve found that a lot of good cabernets cost as little as $9 or $10. But the real trick is the vintage year. A lot of cabernets are vintage 2017 to 2018. I’ve found that four years is a good way to choose a good wine. That is a vintage year of 2014 to 2015. A cabernet that is about four years old is as good as most wines get. There are often a lot of cabernets in the $10 range and if they have the vintage year 2014 to 2015, they are usually real good. I’ve read that a good cabernet can be anywhere from 10 years to 30 years old. But that requires storing them for up to 20 years, or paying $200 or more to buy them already aged.
So for me, four years is just right. The other day I found a seven year old wine. It was good, but I couldn’t really tell it from the four year old wines. I do notice that the two year old wines just don’t cut it.
I do like some non-red wines, Champaign, Sake, mead, etc.  But when it comes to red wine a four year old cabernet is my favorite.
The vintage year is 2015 for this wine.

No comments: