Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Monday, March 30, 2015

My latest beer craze- Arrogant Bastard

By Otto

In my search for a perfect beer I have come up with a fairly good brew; Arrogant Bastard Ale. This beer has a lot of taste. I also have to laugh at the bottle which has a windy essay on why you "probably won't like it."

Example:

This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory --- maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this. 

For people as my self, we do like this kind of beer. It does cause a lot of people the "bitter beer face" phenomenon we saw in commercials for Keystone Beer, years ago. I often told my friends that people who get bitter beer face probably really don't like beer much at all. But I do, so the last thing I want is a watered down beer that promises me that it won't taste much like beer. In other words I like the taste of beer and the more flavor it has the more likely I am to like it.
The bastard beer has a lot of flavor and alcohol (7.2%). It's more expensive than a lot of other beers, between $4 to $5 for a pint. But I'm willing to pay more for a good beer. And the higher alcohol is a plus.
I like the ad approach, a kind of reverse psychology. We all know they really want us to like this beer, even  though they pretend otherwise. It's the old "you have to be way more sophisticated to like this" approach.
The real key to this beer is that it is extremely heavy in its flavor. So for now I intend to keep drinking it for a while.


 Pix from beermonger.net.


No comments: