Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Friday, March 21, 2014

Collecting half dimes

I have been a coin collector ever since I was a kid. Even though I don’t spent as much time with the hobby as I used to, coin collecting is a lot of fun.
Several things go into coin collecting. Collecting anything is a hobby in itself. collecting anything is fun in trying to get several different variations of the same object. Coins are massed produced art. Probably my favorite part of coin collecting is the history of coins. I have coins that are well over 100 years old. Some are close to 200 years old. When I look at them it is like going back in time.
If a coin could talk, they would have plenty of stories to tell about who had them and where they have been.
One of my favorites is the half dime. Coins that are completely obsolete make interesting collections. We do have a 5¢ coin, the nickel. But the half dime is a silver coin and the only other coin with the word dime one it. I find the faces of the earlier coins very pleasant to look at. I also like the sitting liberty coin. These symbols were based on images from the French Revolution and lasted until the USstarted putting presidents and historical people on the coins. In the earlier years of this country those coins all looked the same, weather quarters, half dollars or the dime.   


The half dime has had many faces over the years.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Using BullionVault you can buy physical bullion by the gram at current market exchange rates.

Open your free account today and get 4 grams of free silver as a welcome bonus.