Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Counter-culture Journals (文革)

Friday, May 09, 2008

Where’s the grim reaper when you need him?

I’m feeling OK about now. I have electricity. If I didn’t, I couldn’t write this new poém. This is from my book Poems of the Great Poets. (unpublished)

By 史蒂夫・奥多
Public Utilities

I came home yesterday with a surprise in my door,

It was after five,

Electricity no more,

No warnings in the mail,

No one coming to the door,

Perhaps a phone call,

Sounds like a solicitor and nothing more,

I had the sudden urge to kill,

One less beauracrat taking up my space,

My air, our food, our gas to fill his/her SUV,

One more person with a head full of air,

If we split it like a melon no one would care,

He/she is no gain in keeping, no loss to get rid of,

The body would make great fertilizer as opposed to what it does now.

“We’re a public utility, a monopoly,

Surely you expect us to act like that!?”

Where’s the Grim Reaper when we need him?


1990 Clark Dissmeyer



No comments: